Re: How to setuid X.org?

From: Ludovic Courtès
Subject: Re: How to setuid X.org?
Date: Mon, 20 Mar 2017 09:50:21 +0100

Hello,

<address@hidden> skribis:

>      I have tried several times to get X.org (/bin/X, specifically)
> setuid for obvious reasons. However, I can't find any examples of usage
> and attempting to follow the infopages has led to a bunch of different
> errors and failures (and rather useless error messages). I currently
> don't have any useful logs of what I tried and the output (it was on a
> LiveUSB I'm using for testing purposes), but I'm not wanting to use
> %desktop-services (or other service packs, for that matter), which has
> already been suggested.

To complement what Marius wrote, note that you don’t have to use
‘%desktop-services’ as-is to get X running.  You can remove services you
don’t want from ‘%desktop-services’ as shown at
<https://www.gnu.org/software/guix/manual/html_node/Using-the-Configuration-System.html#System-Services>
(search for “remove”), or you can build your own service list.

In the latter case, you’ll want at least ‘slim-service’ or
‘sddm-service’ for the graphical login manager.  See
<https://www.gnu.org/software/guix/manual/html_node/X-Window.html> and
<https://git.savannah.gnu.org/cgit/guix.git/tree/gnu/services/desktop.scm#n749>.

If you don’t want a graphical login manager, the solution would be to
install ‘xinit’ (which provides the ‘startx’ command) rather than make
Xorg setuid-root.  However, people reported in the past that there were
problems with ‘xinit’, though I forgot what it was.

HTH,
Ludo’.