Re: torsocks works with wget but fails git-clone: "unable to lookup symb

From: ng0
Subject: Re: torsocks works with wget but fails git-clone: "unable to lookup symbols in libc.so.6"
Date: Wed, 5 Apr 2017 22:54:57 +0000

Mekeor Melire transcribed 1.0K bytes:

> Problem
> =======
>
> This works fine:
>
>     $ torsocks wget http://github.com/mekeor/config
>
> This fails:
>
>     $ torsocks git clone http://github.com/mekeor/config
>     1491426097 ERROR torsocks[25849]: Unable to lookup symbols in
> libc.so.6((null)) (in init_libc_symbols() at torsocks.c:239)
>
> Torifying browsers like netsurf-gtk, surf, w3m either also fail or don't
> succeed. Using "torify" instead of "torsocks" results in the same.
>

> Information
> ===========
>
> My config.scm contains:
>
>     (tor-service)

That's not enough for torify (torification? to use torsocks / the SOCKS5
of tor) of applications. As I told you earlier, you need a SOCKSPort,
like so:

(services (cons*
            (tor-service
              (plain-file "torrc"
"SocksPort 127.0.0.1:9050\n"))))

This can be extended any other values you can find in "man torrc" as
long as you end the lines with "\n".

The (tor-service) is mostly just usable for offering onion services, and
we should document that the default is to leave it up to the person
using the system to
configure more behavior.