Re: mumble issues with pulseaudio

From: Ludovic Courtès
Subject: Re: mumble issues with pulseaudio
Date: Sat, 08 Apr 2017 22:32:57 +0200

Florian Paul Schmidt <address@hidden> skribis:

> On 04/05/2017 11:57 AM, ng0 wrote:
>> Aren't we just talking about GuixSD here?

Not only.  For some packages it’s a compile-time choice.

> Just as a sidenote: ALSA also has global configuration files,
> e.g. here on ubuntu they live in:
>
> /usr/share/alsa/alsa.conf
>
> and
>
> /usr/share/alsa/alsa.conf.d/
>
> On ubuntu the default ALSA device is routed through PA without a user
> having a ~/.asoundrc. That latter file is used for further
> customization by the user.

Indeed.  I just checked on Debian and the situation is similar.  It’s
doing something quite sophisticated; from
/usr/share/alsa/alsa.conf.d/pulse.conf:

# PulseAudio alsa plugin configuration file to set the pulseaudio plugin as
# default output for applications using alsa when pulseaudio is running.
hook_func.pulse_load_if_running {
        lib "libasound_module_conf_pulse.so"
        func "conf_pulse_hook_load_if_running"
}

@hooks [
        {
                func pulse_load_if_running
                files [
                        "/usr/share/alsa/pulse-alsa.conf"
                        "/etc/asound.conf"
                        "~/.asoundrc"
                ]
                errors false
        }
]

I tried it on GuixSD and couldn’t get it to work though.

Ludo’.