Unable to use Aspell installed via Guix

From: Niall Dooley
Subject: Unable to use Aspell installed via Guix
Date: Sat, 6 May 2017 15:49:32 +0200

I have configured emacs to use Aspell falling back to Hunspell for spell
checking. I installed both Aspell and Hunspell via Guix though Aspell was
already on my system (a foreign distro - Trisquel 7). The messages below are
those reported in the *Messages* buffer when my config tries to enable
Flyspell.

Configuring package ispell...done
Configuring package flyspell...done
Starting new Ispell process /home/doolio/.guix-profile/bin/aspell with
en_GB dictionary...
Error enabling  mode:
(Error: The file "/home/doolio/.guix-profile/lib/aspell/en_GB" can not
be opened for reading.)
Starting new Ispell process /home/doolio/.guix-profile/bin/aspell with
en_GB dictionary...
Error enabling Flyspell mode:
(Error: The file "/home/doolio/.guix-profile/lib/aspell/en_GB" can not
be opened for reading.)

Not sure why the error message is repeated. In any case it seems unable to
read from the following directory:

$HOME/.guix-profile/lib/aspell/

However, no such directory exists. Should this have been created during the
Guix install?

Instead, the following directory (or rather simlink) exists:

$HOME/.guix-profile/lib/aspell-0.60

pointing to the equivalent directory in the gnu store. But in any case no
`en_GB' dictionary file exists in that location.

I've set the environment variable ASPELL_CONF as follows:

dict-dir $HOME/.guix-profile/lib/aspell

Do I have to explicitly install the Aspell dictionaries? My (ignorant)
reading of the scheme
recipe is that they would be installed along with Aspell.

If I switch to use Hunspell falling back to Aspell I don't have any
issues and I'm able to
successfully use Hunspell.

Thanks for Guix and your time,

Niall