[Date Prev][Date Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next][Date Index][Thread Index]
I installed GuixSD on my laptop
I installed GuixSD on my laptop
Sat, 3 Jun 2017 22:53:24 +0200
Mozilla/5.0 (X11; Linux x86_64; rv:52.0) Gecko/20100101 Thunderbird/52.1.1
Hello everyone, a few months ago I installed GuixSD 0.12 in a luks
encrypted partition on my laptop. Here are some problems I have with it
1. How do I set the locale in the login manager and Grub.
I have a German keyboard, but the system boots with an english
key-setting and only changes when I enter gnome or xfce (I had to set
them up via their guis). Is there any GuixSD-level setting for this? The
install manual didn't mention it.
It's a real pain to enter my password like this.
2. I have to enter my disk-encryption-password two times on every boot.
Once before grub and one time when shepard boots up. I have my
bootloader on a diferent drive, might this be related to the issue?
3. When I enter one wrong password on the first disk-encryption-prompt
(before grub) I get thrown into a grub console. It should give me a few
4. ibus is not working in xfce. I copied the paths from the popup of
ibus-setup into my .bashrc, but even after login out, I couldn't get any
program to actually use ibus. I also had no success in gnome later. I
was trying to get Japanease input to work.
5. I've been using thunderbird with Enigmail previously. I think I read
on irc that icedove would be the way to go, and that it hasn't been
Enigmail is really neat, so I wouldn't want to be without it.
6. My laptop has an Nvidia and an Intel graphics card, how do I force
intel to be active?
The Nouveau drivers can't do any 3d stuff at a bearable framerate,
probably due to it's dependence on blobs.
I wonder if Intel would perform better. How would I switch between them
7. I have this wifi stick:
Is the driver already packaged for guixsd?
* An unrelated story:
I had to install GuixSD twice, because I forgot to punch "(dependencies
mapped-devices)" into my file-system configuration.
So shepard would not boot up properly and after some time I got a guile
I see that this is my own fault, for not reading the docs properly.
I hope the new ncurses installer will help to prevent such mistakes.
* Not a problem: Touchpad works different
My first observation was that the touchpad was not working correctly.
The touchpad only works for mouse movement.
Clicking by tapping any point on the pad does not work.
Scrolling by moving down/up the right edge does not work.
I use the hardware buttons below it for clicking, but I wonder, aren't
there some laptops without those?
Later I found out that scrolling works with two fingers and this whole
setup is actually much better, since I do way less misclicks that way!
Because I previously tried nixos I directly installed
xf86-input-synaptics with my installation. I never tried to use my
system without it. If it is required it should be mentioned in the docs.
Have a nice day, and happy hacking on GuixSD!
- I installed GuixSD on my laptop,
- Re: I installed GuixSD on my laptop, ng0, 2017/06/03
- Re: I installed GuixSD on my laptop, someone, 2017/06/03
- Re: I installed GuixSD on my laptop, pelzflorian (Florian Pelz), 2017/06/04
- Re: I installed GuixSD on my laptop, Arun Isaac, 2017/06/04
- Re: I installed GuixSD on my laptop, Ludovic Courtès, 2017/06/05