Re: Udev rules

From: Ludovic Courtès
Subject: Re: Udev rules
Date: Sun, 11 Jun 2017 21:48:27 +0200

Hi Theodoros,

Theodoros Foradis <address@hidden> skribis:

> I am packaging some software which interacts with usb devices and
> provides a set of udev rules, so that you don't need to run it as root.
>
> How do they become usable by udev? I see that some packages place their
> files under $prefix/lib/udev/rules.d. Should the user manually modify the
> udev-service in his system configuration, or are they found and loaded?

The ‘operating-system’ declaration should extend ‘udev-service’ with
these new rules.  This can be done by adding something like this in the
‘services’ field:

  ;; Add udev rules for MTP devices so that non-root users can access
  ;; them.
  (simple-service 'mtp udev-service-type (list libmtp))

… where ‘libsmtp’ is a package object.

HTH!

Ludo’.