First installation - Questions

From: Sohom Bhattacharjee
Subject: First installation - Questions
Date: Sun, 2 Jul 2017 09:38:07 +0530

Hello Guix!

First timer here!

I recently attempted to install GUIX SD on my laptop. After about 5
initial iterations I was finally able to get GUIX SD on my laptop so
that it just worked. I used the basic config for my first try and I kept
on modifying that config for the subsequent 'init's. Here is my current
config: https://gitlab.com/83bytes/guix/blob/master/myConfig.scm

1. Is there any way to remove all desktop services and run it in a
do-it-yourself mode (much like with Arch Linux) i.e. login into terminal
and startx to start the Xorg ?

2. From reading the docs I figure that we are supposed to write
config.scm for everything including web servers. This also means doing a
`guix system reconfigure` after every change (even the trivial ones like
setting up another virtual host etc). Is there any way I can *not* do
this and run certain services like Apache or cron without declaring them
in the config ?

3. If i do not declare a service in the config and i go on using it
traditionally (assuming we can do that); then does it mean that this
undeclared service will get lost upon a `guix system reconfigure` ?

4. How do I modify elogind settings ? ( i want to disable power button
and lid button controls )

5. When i do a `guix size <package>` the sizes are generally huge (1.3Gb
for icecat in my system). Why is it so ?

6. Is there a list of which packages are available as rebuilt
"substitutes" ( is this correct ?? ) and which ones need to be built
locally ?

Thank You,

Sohom