Re: Issues with my configuration - zsh shell default

From: Fredrik Salomonsson
Subject: Re: Issues with my configuration - zsh shell default
Date: Tue, 4 Jul 2017 23:52:20 -0700

1)
Do you want this to be mounted on boot?  I don’t think there’s a way to
express that a mount should happen after the network has come up (yet).

You can only tell Guix not to try to mount the disk on boot.  Use
auto-mounting to mount the disk on demand at a later point.  (We don’t
have a service for autofs yet.)

Your contributions in this area would be welcome!

Ideally I would like it to be mounted on boot. Only thing I found was in the mount manpage which mention the option _netdev. That will supposedly wait until the network is up before mounting. But I'm not sure if GuixSD (Shepherd?) is using mount or not.

How do I mount it manually after boot? I see it's in the fstab but I cannot run mount. It's complain about wrong fs type, bad option, bad superblock... And mention that it might need a /sbin/mount.<type> helper program. When I run
sudo mount /media/Valhalla

I would love to contribute. But my experience with guile right now is minimal. So my plan is to first familiarize myself with guile and guix by first package up some stuff I notice are missing in guix that I use. Any recommendations on books, tutorials etc on guile would be helpful.

2)
There is no module “(gnu packages zsh)”.  “zsh” is now in “(gnu packages
shells)”.

 (use-package-modules shells)
  (users (cons (user-account
                (name "admin")
                (comment "")
                (group "users")
                (supplementary-groups '("wheel" "netdev"
                                        "audio" "video"))
                (shell #~(string-append #$zsh "/bin/zsh"))
                (home-directory "/home/admin"))
               %base-user-accounts))

This worked for me. Thanks. What is the best way of looking up what package belongs to what module? In case I hit more of this in the future.

3)
Here’s what I do in my config:

(define dvorak-evdev
  (call-with-input-file "/etc/config.d/evdev.conf" read-string))

[…]
(operating-system …
  (services …
    (modify-services %desktop-services
      (slim-service-type
       config => (slim-configuration
                  (inherit config)
                  (startx (xorg-start-command
                           #:configuration-file
                           (xorg-configuration-file
                            #:extra-config
                            (list dvorak-evdev))))))
                            …)))

You can use something like that to add to the xorg configuration file.
Just put your snippet in a file and slurp it up.

Tried doing something similar but getting errors on the read-string.
First I got:
guix system: error: failed to load '/etc/config.scm':
/etc/config.scm:23:24: /etc/config.scm:23:24: In procedure module-lookup: Unbound variable: read-string

After searching in the guile manual I found a read-string in the module (sxml ssax input-parse), loaded that and now I get.
guix system: error: failed to load '/etc/config.scm':
sxml/upstream/input-parse.scm:318:11: In procedure read-string:
sxml/upstream/input-parse.scm:318:11: In procedure <: Wrong type: #<input: /etc/config.d/00-keyboard.conf 14>

I'm probably missing something.
I've attached my new config.scm and xorg file.

> 4) /bin/env
> In the manual, under Base Services
> <https://www.gnu.org/software/guix/manual/guix.html#Base-Services> it
> describes how to add env to /bin. I tried adding that snippet to my
> services but I don't see env in /bin after I reconfigure.

Not sure about this one.  Your config looks okay to me.  I’m not using
this myself, so I don’t know if there’s a bug in our documentation.
It is working it was just me being stupid. I was looking in /bin for env, but in my config it is set to /usr/bin/.

>> I've also noticed some odd issues with my keyboards that are running the qmk
>> firmware <https://github.com/qmk/qmk_firmware>. I've setup that my space
>> have a dual action, it's register as space when pressing and ctrl when
>> holding the key. But when using them in GuixSD it results in a 1s delay
>> every time I press space. Which gives a very sluggish impression when
>> typing in the terminal. It works fine if I disable that feature. I have not
>> experienced that issue in any other distro.
>
> Don’t know about this one.  Is any kernel firmware loading mechanism
> involved or do you suspect an xorg configuration problem?

I'm not sure about this one either. No kernel firmware mechanism is involved as far as I know, I think the firmware just mimics a plain old usb keyboard. From what I understand the dual action keys should be happening in the firmware and the kernel shouldn't even notice any of this. But that's just my assumption. Need to debug this further before I can draw any conclusion if it's GuixSD or if it's my laptop. Just thought I mention it in case someone have stumbled across it.

> 2) Change shell for user to zsh.
> I followed https://gitlab.com/rain1/guix-wiki/wikis/FAQ on how to change
> shell to zsh but getting this error when reconfiguring:
>
>> guix system: error: failed to load '/etc/config.scm':
>> ice-9/boot-9.scm:2795:6: In procedure resolve-interface:
>> ice-9/boot-9.scm:2795:6: no code for module (gnu packages zsh)
>
> I can install zsh using guix package -i zsh and start it manually.

This works for me:

(use-package-modules shells)

  (users (cons (user-account
                (name "admin")
                (comment "")
                (group "users")
                (supplementary-groups '("wheel" "netdev"
                                        "audio" "video"))
                (shell #~(string-append #$zsh "/bin/zsh"))
                (home-directory "/home/admin"))
               %base-user-accounts))

Though I'm not yet sure how to change the root accounts shell to zsh.

Anyone know that?

--
Best regards,

Divan Santana