Package Installation takes a very long time - normal?

From: Niall Dooley
Subject: Package Installation takes a very long time - normal?
Date: Mon, 10 Jul 2017 19:52:46 +0100

I'm a user of Guix but not GuixSD. Some time ago I installed Guix following
the instructions in the manual and since then have installed a total of 16
packages. I'm raising this query to better understand why it takes so long for
me to install any one package.

Is this a consequence of my machine being old - it's a refurbished (Libreboot)
ThinkPad X60s running Trisquel 7 with 2.9 GiB memory with a 120 GB SSD?

Is it just simple a consequence of functional package management - as based
purely on my experience this will be a considerable deterrant to most users
despite the obvious advantages that come with functional package management
systems in general and Guix in particular?

Perhaps, it's user error (would be the first time) and there is a step
I missed that
would avoid these long package installation times?

Thanks for Guix and your time.