Re: grub not properly installing in GuixSD

From: Marius Bakke
Subject: Re: grub not properly installing in GuixSD
Date: Wed, 19 Jul 2017 01:11:15 +0200

Joshua Branson <address@hidden> writes:

> BUT to be sure, I entered my bios and now my computer will only boot in UEFI
> mode.  When I tell my computer to boot via the usb (using UEFI and booting
> GuixSD), it fails to boot at some point.  Here’s some of the last entries:
>
> snd_hda_codec_realtex hdaudioC1D0:
> ….
> [drm] radeon kernel modesetting enabled
> ….
> AMD IOMMUv2 driver by Joerg Roedel
>
> CU CPU: cores=4 id_base=0
>
> found cache entry in CRAT table with processor_id=1
> Creating topology SYSFS entries
> Finished initializing topology ret=0
> kfd kfd: Initialized module
> fb: switching to radeondrmfb from EFI VGA
>
> Then it hangs and does nothing more.   I’m assuming that it is has something
> to do with the APU, but I don’t know.  Actually, it could be that Arch Linux
> uses a vanilla kernel.  Perhaps the linux-libre kernel doesn’t ship with some
> certain needed proprietary firmware…actually I’m reading online on several
> places (online) that this is a problem with mode setting the radeon driver.
> If I change the grub command line to disable modesetting, then I may be able
> to boot properly.   The problem is that I don’t see grub anywhere in my boot
> process.

There is a brief (5s?) window just after booting the USB where the GRUB
menu is shown with a GuixSD background, before Linux-Libre boots. You
can press 'e' there to add command-line arguments for the kernel.

If adding 'nomodeset' works, maybe we should do that by default. Kernel
mode-setting is arguably not that important for the install media.