Re: overriding essential-services

From: Ricardo Wurmus
Subject: Re: overriding essential-services
Date: Tue, 15 Aug 2017 22:05:38 +0200

Alex Kost <address@hidden> writes:

> Ricardo Wurmus (2017-08-11 22:26 +0200) wrote:
>
>> Hi Guix,
>>
>> I want to make sure that /etc/environment includes GUILE_LOAD_PATH and
>> GUILE_LOAD_COMPILED_PATH, because that’s needed for offloading.
>> “/etc/environment” is created by the “session-environment-service”
>> service, which is part of “essential-services”.  It is not part of
>> %base-services, so I cannot catch it with “modify-services” and extend
>> it.
>>
>> How would I go about extending it?
>
> There is probably no convenient way now.
>
>> For now I’ll use ~/.ssh/environment and “PermitUserEnvironment=yes”, but
>> I think it would anyway be good to have a mechanism to easily change the
>> contents of /etc/environment.
>
> IFIUC the intention of <https://bugs.gnu.org/27155> is to provide the
> extension facility for any service.

I don’t know… I never quite warmed up to the implementation.  It looks
much too powerful for something as simple as e.g. overwriting
/etc/environment.

Maybe “session-environment-service-type” is an outlier here anyway.  I
see the utility of 27155 for the other services, but using it for
“session-environment-service-type” really seems wrong.  Maybe we can
move it to %base-services?

And maybe we could avoid essential-services altogether and make these
services explicit, so that they can be modified with “modify-services”.
Right now they are special in that they are always added to whatever
services the user defines.

--
Ricardo

GPG: BCA6 89B6 3655 3801 C3C6  2150 197A 5888 235F ACAC
https://elephly.net