Re: overriding essential-services

From: Ludovic Courtès
Subject: Re: overriding essential-services
Date: Tue, 22 Aug 2017 11:46:00 +0200

Ricardo Wurmus <address@hidden> skribis:

> Alex Kost <address@hidden> writes:
>
>> Ricardo Wurmus (2017-08-11 22:26 +0200) wrote:
>>
>>> Hi Guix,
>>>
>>> I want to make sure that /etc/environment includes GUILE_LOAD_PATH and
>>> GUILE_LOAD_COMPILED_PATH, because that’s needed for offloading.
>>> “/etc/environment” is created by the “session-environment-service”
>>> service, which is part of “essential-services”.  It is not part of
>>> %base-services, so I cannot catch it with “modify-services” and extend
>>> it.
>>>
>>> How would I go about extending it?
>>
>> There is probably no convenient way now.

What about:

  (services (cons (simple-service 'my-env
                                  session-environment-service-type
                                  `(("GUILE_LOAD_PATH"
                                     . ,(file-append guile-2.2 "/share/foo"))))
                  %base-services))

It seems to do the job.

> And maybe we could avoid essential-services altogether and make these
> services explicit, so that they can be modified with “modify-services”.
> Right now they are special in that they are always added to whatever
> services the user defines.

I don’t like ‘essential-services’ either, but I like that we have a
high-level ‘operating-system’ structure (in theory we could have just
one big ‘service’ structure and that’d be enough, but it’d be less
pleasant to work with.)  Not sure how to address this.

Thoughts?

Ludo’.