Re: Tip of the day: storing your GuixSD config in the instantiated syste

From: Ricardo Wurmus
Subject: Re: Tip of the day: storing your GuixSD config in the instantiated system
Date: Tue, 29 Aug 2017 12:13:16 +0200

Peter Mikkelsen <address@hidden> writes:

> If this becomes default, would it make sense for 'guix system reconfigure'
> to be able to run without a configuration file and just use the
> default?

I don’t think we should do this.  The copy of the configuration file
used to build the system is a read-only copy in the store.  It gets
copied to /etc/config.scm on boot along with many other files from the
system profile’s “etc” directory.  On a reboot any changes to the file
are lost again.

It is clearer to let the user specify the configuration file than to
default to /etc/config.scm, which wouldn’t even be under version
control (which is what we recommend).

--
Ricardo

GPG: BCA6 89B6 3655 3801 C3C6  2150 197A 5888 235F ACAC
https://elephly.net