Re: btrfs and subvolumes for root

From: maze
Subject: Re: btrfs and subvolumes for root
Date: Sat, 02 Sep 2017 13:26:31 +0200

Am 2017-08-06 05:46, schrieb Fredrik Salomonsson:
Hello Guix,

I'm testing out setting up a dual boot between GuixSD and Arch. I've
no idea how much each one will take on disk. I decided to try out
btrfs and subvolumes for the layout.

But I'm having some issues booting the thing.

My disk layout right now is:
sda
  sda1      1MB BIOS boot
  sda2      4G  swap
  sda3 228.9GB  btrfs

then subvolumes:
sda3/
  __current/guixsd-root
  __current/arch-root
  __current/boot
  __current/home

section from my config.scm, which is based on my old config (old one
is attached).

(file-systems (cons* (file-system
   (device "root")
   (title 'label)
   (mount-point "/boot")
   (options
"defaults,discard,compress=lzo,space_cache,autodefrag,subvol=__current/boot")
   (dependecies mapped-devices))
;; repeat for guixsd-root and home but with correct value for subvol
)

guix system init worked fine but when booting it fails to locate the
bzImage. Which I assume is because it doesn't know that the root is in
a subvolume.

Long story short. How do I add rootflags to GuixSD's grub menu entry?
Need to add "rootflags=subvol=__current/guixsd-root" to the
linux-arguments. Might be an issue of having boot as a subvolume as
well.

Thanks

--

s/Fred[re]+i[ck]+/Fredrik/g

Hello Fredrik,

I am having the same problem. Adjusting the kernel parameters for the GuixSD kernel seems currently not supported. Looking at the source code though it looks like this could be achieved via manipulating the "bootloader-configuration-menu-entries" list. (Still a scheme noob!)

That said, it would generally make sense to make this configurable IMO.

Best
Martin