Re: How to add spell checking dictionaries to Icecat

From: Ludovic Courtès
Subject: Re: How to add spell checking dictionaries to Icecat
Date: Sun, 03 Sep 2017 22:17:19 +0200

Hi Maxim,

Maxim Cournoyer <address@hidden> skribis:

> I asked this question on the freenode #icecat channel yesterday, but
> didn't get a response, so I'm forwarding it here.
>
> Is there a way to install dictionaries for IceCat? When I right-click in
> a text box and choose 'Add Dictionaries', it brings me here:
> http://dictionaries.mozdev.org/. If I then go to the installation page
> and try to install the French (France) dictionary, I get: The add-on
> downloaded from this site could not be installed because it appears to
> be corrupt.
>
> IIUC, the spell checker used by Icecat is Hunspell. We don't seem to
> have any hunspell dictionary packaged in Guix. Has anyone got a hold of
> this?

That’s a very good question.  I’ve noticed before that that
spell-checking in IceCat didn’t work and that’s a serious problem from a
UX viewpoint.

Looking at Hunspell’s home page, it looks like we should build
dictionary packages from what’s at
<https://cgit.freedesktop.org/libreoffice/dictionaries/tree/>, no?

Ludo’.