Re: fixing --check saying outputs not valid

From: Ludovic Courtès
Subject: Re: fixing --check saying outputs not valid
Date: Fri, 08 Sep 2017 22:56:23 +0200

Dave Love <address@hidden> skribis:

> I ran build --check on a new package and it complained that some output
> of the derivation aren't valid.  Then I checked hwloc, which also has a
> "lib" output and it has the same problem:
>
>   guix build: error: build failed: some outputs of
> `/gnu/store/bsafscmmaw43ssb0lhnri3vdi0wi0chx-hwloc-1.11.7.drv' are not valid,
> so checking is not possible
>
> With --verbosity=4, it looks as if that's due to
>
>   |   |   path `/gnu/store/fsch2h9r8jp3c5ahs0b0mr8pr4yp4l3q-hwloc-1.11.7-lib'
> is required, but there is no substituter that can build it
>
> How could I fix that?

To run --check, you must first already have the store item(s) available.

So you would first run:

  guix build hwloc

which will ensure both hwloc and hwloc:lib are in your store, possibly
by downloading substitutes.

Then you can run “guix build hwloc --check -L --no-grafts”, which will
build hwloc locally and raise an error if hwloc:{out,lib} are not
bit-identical to what you had in store.

Makes sense?

(The “--no-grafts” part is because what you care about is the actual
build of hwloc, not the grafting derivation.)

Ludo’.