Re: Should I upgrade root user's guix too?

From: Chris Marusich
Subject: Re: Should I upgrade root user's guix too?
Date: Sat, 23 Sep 2017 00:47:02 -0700

Attic Hermit <address@hidden> writes:

> I use guix for using the softwares that Parabola GNU+Linux doesn't
> provide. Everything works great, but I have a question on the upgrade of
> guix itself.
>
> I regularly do `guix pull && guix package -u` in my default user, but I
> rarely do it in root user. I don't know if I'm right, but the guix build
> users runs the guix of the version of root, so if I don't upgrade the
> guix of root, that will stay on the old version for good. Therefore, the
> guix of root should be upgraded as well, when the guix of the default
> user is upgraded; Am I right?
>
> If upgrading the root's guix is valid, then which guix should be
> upgraded before? I usually upgrade non-root user's guix before
> and then root's.
>
> I couldn't find a related topic on the manual, so I'm little bit
> confused.

You should run "guix pull" for both root and your non-privileged
user(s).  The version of Guix deployed for root is the version of Guix
that will be used when running commands like "guix system reconfigure"
as root.  If you don't do "guix pull" as root, then whenever you run
"guix" as root, you'll be using out of date Guix code, which includes
the package definitions that come with Guix.  The manual discusses the
fact that "guix pull" only updates the Guix copy for the user who runs
it (info '(guix) Invoking guix pull').

You might need to use sudo's "-H, --set-home" option to ensure that the
guix command updates the right symlink (you'll probably need to do that
only if the command "sudo env | grep HOME" produces no output).

--
Chris