Re: Should I upgrade root user's guix too?

From: Attic Hermit
Subject: Re: Should I upgrade root user's guix too?
Date: Sat, 23 Sep 2017 22:05:34 +0900

> When alice invokes the guix command to install the hello package, the
> guix command essentially translates the package definition into a
> derivation, and then asks the guix-daemon (via remote procedure calls)
> to build that derivation.

> guix-daemon has no knowledge of the "package" abstraction, and it
> doesn't need to know about packages.  For this reason, the guix-daemon
> doesn't necessarily need to be updated in order to build more
> up-to-date packages.  The guix-daemon just knows how to do basic
> things related to the store like add files, build derivations, perform
> garbage collection, etc.

To summarize, `guix pull && guix package -u' on the root user is
basically for the sake of the features to do basic things, when the root
user's guix profile is only for the guix-daemon.

Thanks for your precise explanation! All things are clear now. I'll give
a link to this conversation if someone encounter and ask the same
confusion. Your mail was that helpful. :)

--
Attic Hermit