partitions and filesystems

From: Marco van Hulten
Subject: partitions and filesystems
Date: Sat, 04 Nov 2017 12:01:07 +0100

Hello,

Something is not so clear to me on this page:

https://www.gnu.org/software/guix/manual/html_node/Preparing-for-Installation.html

under section "6.1.4.3 Disk Partitioning":

> Preferably, assign partitions a label so that you can easily and
> reliably refer to them in file-system declarations (see File
> Systems). This is typically done using the -L option of mkfs.ext4 and
> related commands. So, assuming the target root partition lives
> at /dev/sda1, a file system with the label my-root can be created
> with: mkfs.ext4 [...]

and

> mount the target root partition under /mnt with a command like
> (again, assuming my-root is the label of the root partition)

Wait, "my-root" was the label of the filesystem, right?

I think the terms "partition" and "filesystem" are confused here.  I
propose that this be correct and consistent, so

- a partition has a "partition label";
- a filesystem has a "filesystem label", or "volume label" when
  following mkfs(8) terminology.

Could someone make this consistent?  Or I could propose an updated text.
Should I send them in plain text to guix-devel?

-Marco