Re: Application Setup on Trisquel

From: Caleb Herbert
Subject: Re: Application Setup on Trisquel
Date: Wed, 08 Nov 2017 00:39:33 -0600

On Thu, 2017-10-26 at 10:53 -0700, Ludovic Courtès wrote:
> Mikhail Kryshen <address@hidden> skribis:

> >> It should be possible, but I don’t know how.  Anyone?
> >
> > I don't use Trisquel, but this works for GNOME in Fedora:
> >
> >   ln -s ~/.guix-profile/share/applications ~/.local/share/applications/guix
> >
> > You might also want to copy or symlink application icons from
> > ~/.guix-profile/share/icons to ~/.local/share/icons

I have a better way.  This did not work for me on Trisquel.

My experience: Apps appeared in the main menu, but GNOME was not aware
of them.  Icons were missing, Emacs would never show up in "Open With",
and I couldn't launch Mumble from Run Application (Alt+F2).

Solution:
https://trisquel.info/en/forum/guix-trisquel#comment-122789
(Thanks, ADFENO!)

GNOME sees apps and icons now!

Remaining hurdles:
      * Buttons don't show up, themes don't match:
        https://lut.im/g7za20HA8Z/U8CWURMKf3X0a1GI.png
      * Fcitx Mozc input method for Japanese does not work in Guix apps