Re: successful installation, but problems updating

From: Marco van Hulten
Subject: Re: successful installation, but problems updating
Date: Thu, 09 Nov 2017 20:27:37 +0100

Ludo'-

Op 09 nov 14:19 schreef Ludovic Courtès:
> How many CPUs and how much RAM does this machine have?  Does it help in
> any way to run “guix pull --cores=2”, thereby limiting CPU usage to two
> cores?

I have two processors, so I tried to run it on one, and it worked:

```
address@hidden ~# time guix pull --cores=1

Starting download of /tmp/guix-file.kQQ8AM
From https://git.savannah.gnu.org/cgit/guix.git/snapshot/master.tar.gz...
 ….tar.gz                                   2.8MiB/s 00:05 | 13.8MiB transferred
unpacking '/gnu/store/v1zs6bfaam79wp9pf1ja9k8ys4f3dm2s-guix-latest.tar.gz'...
substitute: updating list of substitutes from 'https://mirror.hydra.gnu.org'...
100.0%
The following derivation will be built:
   /gnu/store/5admrckcwdqgqix1d7hfj23fczk2k7ss-guix-latest.drv
substitute: updating list of substitutes from 'https://mirror.hydra.gnu.org'...
100.0%
copying and compiling to
'/gnu/store/pmk3b4sqqnizkhmrxx7cdyj4as0ym6r4-guix-latest' with Guile 2.2.2...
compiling...    100.0% of 647 files

Some deprecated features have been used.  Set the environment
variable GUILE_WARN_DEPRECATED to "detailed" and rerun the
program to get more information.  Set it to "no" to suppress
this message.
updated GNU Guix successfully deployed under `/root/.config/guix/latest'

real    37m0.478s
user    0m2.963s
sys     0m0.508s
```

Right now I'm updating packages, and things are looking up.

Do you have any idea what went wrong when using both cores?

I am conflating cores and processors right now.  I think these are
equal for this system, but I'm not sure.  I have an Intel Core2 Duo.
/proc/cpuinfo shows two processes.  Furthermore, I presume that
`--cores N` actually means that guix spawns N processes.

-Marco