Re: openssh installed, but ssh-daemon not starting

From: Marco van Hulten
Subject: Re: openssh installed, but ssh-daemon not starting
Date: Sun, 12 Nov 2017 15:51:56 +0100

David-

Op 10 nov 07:45 schreef Thompson, David:
> Marco wrote:
> > address@hidden ~# herd start ssh-daemon
> > herd: service 'ssh-daemon' could not be found
> > ```
> >
> > Is there actually a service `ssh-daemon' belonging to the package
> > openssh?
>
> Services being installed upon package installation is one of those
> things you learn from other distros that needs to be "unlearned" when
> using GuixSD.  When you run `guix package` you are altering your own
> personal package profile, it doesn't alter the system in any way.
> Installing the openssh package as a user is a good way to get the
> openssh client available in your shell, but in order to get the
> openssh daemon running you'll need to add an expression like `(service
> openssh-service-type (openssh-configuration ...))` to your OS
> configuration file and run `guix system reconfigure`.  Make sure to
> import the (gnu services ssh) module otherwise you'll get undefined
> variable errors.

It now works with the (service openssh-service-type).  I did not change
the default configuration.  I feel a bit fuzzy about the exact keywords
used, sometimes services take only one keyword:

  (services (cons* (xfce-desktop-service)
                   (service openssh-service-type)
                   %desktop-services))

For XFCE we use a singlet, whereas for OpenSSH a pair is used.  Must
one use such a pair if there are (optionally) configuration parameters
to be defined for the respective service?

The syntax of the ssh module import at the top of my profile is a bit
different, but it seems to work (https://paste.debian.net/995301/).

I am starting to understand the generals of the system.

Thank you for the help!

-Marco