Re: openssh installed, but ssh-daemon not starting

From: Ludovic Courtès
Subject: Re: openssh installed, but ssh-daemon not starting
Date: Mon, 13 Nov 2017 10:52:25 +0100

Hello,

Marco van Hulten <address@hidden> skribis:

> It now works with the (service openssh-service-type).  I did not change
> the default configuration.  I feel a bit fuzzy about the exact keywords
> used, sometimes services take only one keyword:
>
>   (services (cons* (xfce-desktop-service)
>                    (service openssh-service-type)
>                    %desktop-services))
>
> For XFCE we use a singlet, whereas for OpenSSH a pair is used.  Must
> one use such a pair if there are (optionally) configuration parameters
> to be defined for the respective service?

This is mostly “historical baggage”: before we’d define a procedure like
‘xfce-desktop-service’, where the current convention is to set users
write:

  (service TYPE CONFIG)

or

  (service TYPE)

‘service’ is a record constructor: it produces a “service” object with
the given type and config.

We’ve started removing the “old-style” service procedures, but we should
keep doing that to avoid the confusion.

HTH!

Ludo’.