Re: partitions and filesystems

From: Marco van Hulten
Subject: Re: partitions and filesystems
Date: Thu, 16 Nov 2017 15:05:00 +0100

Oleg—

Je 16 nov 06:44 transskribita far Oleg Pykhalov:
> We need someone to make a patch.  I attached one below.  If it is not
> good enough, you could send “updated text” as a “plain text” file or as
> a patch to this mailing list or address@hidden or address@hidden

Seems good, your patch.  I only have minor changes (on top of your
proposed patch), so I will go ahead and send my first patch.

One change concerns « mount the target root partition ».  Generally, it
is said one mounts a « file system », though it may depend on ones
choice of abstractions°.  I will go with « file system » if there is no
rebuttal to this.

—Marco

° If one mounts a filesystem, this involves connecting to the partition
  (available as a block device); as such, one could say you mount a
  partition/device.  A partition typically contains one filesystem, so
  it is typically unambiguous to say you mount a partition.  But the
  verboseness of this argument suggests that it is better to say one
  mounts filesystems rather than partitions.