Re: state of the system

From: Ludovic Courtès
Subject: Re: state of the system
Date: Sun, 26 Nov 2017 23:00:26 +0100

Hi Marco,

Marco van Hulten <address@hidden> skribis:

> Concerning my kodi crash happening on my system but not on other's [1],
> maybe by system got broken and I should reinstall.
>
> I understand that the state of a GuixSD installation is defined by one's
> `config.scm`.  Thus I can very easily reproduce an exact copy of the
> functional system.

Indeed.  This property makes it essentially useless to reinstall, since
the system is stateless (or “mostly” stateless.)

> However, there are also packages installed per user.  What would
> define, excluding data files in the home directories, the complete
> state of a system, including both the core OS and packages (as
> available per user), if there such a thing in GuixSD?

If you use declarative profiles with ‘guix package -m’, then all you
need is to keep both the system config.scm and the user profile
manifests.

Otherwise there’s no fully automated way to capture the whole system
state.  It would be a useful addition!

Besides, if your concern is to allow others to reproduce the Kodi crash
you experienced, my suggestions would be to try and see if you can
reproduce it in a VM created with ‘guix system vm’.  If you can do that,
then others will be able to reproduce it as well and to investigate.

HTH!

Ludo’.