Trouble with 'guix download'

From: Luther Thompson
Subject: Trouble with 'guix download'
Date: Sun, 03 Dec 2017 18:58:41 -0500

I'd like to install Python 3.6.3 with Guix, but Guix only has a package
for 3.5.3. I'm trying to see if I can write my own package definition.
I'm currently stuck trying to use 'guix download'. This is what I get:

$ guix download https://www.python.org/ftp/python/3.6.3/Python-3.6.3.tar.xz

Starting download of /tmp/guix-file.E66CkS
>From https://www.python.org/ftp/python/3.6.3/Python-3.6.3.tar.xz...
ERROR: Wrong type to apply: #<syntax-transformer uri?>
failed to download "/tmp/guix-file.E66CkS" from
"https://www.python.org/ftp/python/3.6.3/Python-3.6.3.tar.xz";
guix download: error:
https://www.python.org/ftp/python/3.6.3/Python-3.6.3.tar.xz: download failed

I'm not sure what to do next.

I have a broader question: I don't know if Guix is designed to make it
easy for users to have their own personal package definitions. Would it
be simpler for me to change the package in the Guix codebase and do a
pull request than to write my own package?

Luther