Re: guix pack

From: Ludovic Courtès
Subject: Re: guix pack
Date: Fri, 08 Dec 2017 11:41:02 +0100

address@hidden skribis:

> I am currently updating my Guix repository in Debian/Hurd, but I do not have
> guile-git installed that is required.
> Is it possible to use the packages generated by 'guix pack guile-git' to
> compile a new version of Guix?

You mean building it on GNU/Linux and using it on GNU/Hurd?  The .go
files would be compatible with those from i686-linux, but libgit2.so
from GNU/Linux would obviously not be usable on GNU/Hurd.

So I think you really need to build guile-git on GNU/Hurd (or perhaps to
cross-compile it from GNU/Linux.)

Also, note that if you unpack a tarball created by ‘guix pack’, the
store items that are added are still unknown to the GC and considered
dead.  This is because the store consists not just of /gnu/store, but
also of /var/guix/db/db.sqlite.

Instead, you should use ‘guix archive’ or ‘guix copy’ when transferring
store items from one machine to another.

HTH!

Ludo’.