Re: Openvpn and NetworkManager

From: ng0
Subject: Re: Openvpn and NetworkManager
Date: Sun, 24 Dec 2017 09:02:00 +0000

Johannes Laute transcribed 4.2K bytes:
> Hi,
>
> I'm trying to get openvpn and the NetworkManager plugin to work together
> but I am having some troubles.
>
> I started with installing both packages, but the openvpn plugin specific
> menu options did not show up in the connection menu.
>
> I read the documentation and noticed the "vpn-plugins" option in the
> network-manager service declaration, so I added the network-manager-openvpn
> service like this:
>
> (modify-services %desktop-services
>          (network-manager-service-type config =>
>                                        (network-manager-configuration
>                                        (inherit config)
>                                        (vpn-plugins (list
> network-manager-openvpn)))))))
>
> After that, it now shows up and I can import openvpn connections (I noticed
> it added a NM_VPN_PLUGIN_DIR environment variable) but I cannot connect.

Just to be sure: have you only noticed this variable or have you sourced
the new .guix-profile/etc/profile where it should be included?

> When I click connect simply nothing happens, and the following log is
> emitted to /var/log/debug
>
> Dec 23 23:09:49 localhost NetworkManager[345]: <info>  [1514070589.5044]
> audit: op="connection-activate" uuid="36c09127-ffc0-4d46-9547-06e0ea214a15"
> name="mullvad_de" pid=470 uid=1000 result="fail" reason="The VPN service
> 'org.freedesktop.NetworkManager.openvpn' was not installed.

I have opened a bug about this a while ago (OpenVPN and the (not yet merged?)
VPNC plugins are affected. It's annoying prevents me from accessing my
university
intranet via VPN for some things from home.
Maybe it was just an email so far, I can not find a bug ticket for this.

> I researched the error message and it seems common when people don't have
> plugin installed (obviously), but I also found this:
> https://github.com/NixOS/nixpkgs/issues/3539 which might be related.

Thanks for the additional issue, I didn't look into Nix so far.

--
GnuPG: A88C8ADD129828D7EAC02E52E22F9BBFEE348588
GnuPG: https://c.n0.is/ng0_pubkeys/tree/keys