Re: substitutes

From: Catonano
Subject: Re: substitutes
Date: Tue, 26 Dec 2017 21:43:22 +0100

On Tue, Dec 26, 2017 at 08:17:54AM +0100, Catonano wrote:
> This manual page
>
> https://www.gnu.org/software/guix/manual/html_node/Substitute-Server-Authorization.html#Substitute-Server-Authorization
>
> says that I should loo for substitutes authorization keys in
>
> prefix/share/guix/hydra.gnu.org.pub
>
> I'm on a laptop with GuixSD on it and I don't understand: which is my
> prefix ?

Sorry, those instructions are confusing and should be improved. On
GuixSD, hydra.gnu.org is authorized by default; you don't need to
authorize that server again.

For reference, on GuixSD the default signing keys for binary substitutes
can be found at '/run/current-system/profile/share/guix'.

On a foreign distro, if you did the binary installation, they are at
'~root/.guix/profile/share/guix'.

thanks

> I'm asking this because Efraim invited me to use his substitute server on
> the irc channel and I don't know how to set it up

If Efraim is just providing a substitute mirror of hydra.gnu.org, you
don't need to do anything. If he is building his own binary substitutes,
you'll need the signing key for his server, which wil be provided by
him. I've copied him on this message.

Ah. Thanks

> I want to use his substitute server because I'd like to build the
> installation image from the branch with the graphical installer, in order
> to test it in a visrtual machine
>
> But when I tried to build the installation image I got this (tl;dr
> linux-libre-4.13.2 missing)

Unfortunately, the linux-libre project does not maintain an archive of
their releases, as you saw. Do you need to use that particular version
of the kernel, or can you use something more current, which might still
be available upstream or cached on our servers?

I just run this line
~$ ./pre-inst-env guix system disk-image gnu/system/install.scm

as by the instrctions to build an installation image from that branch

and I ended up with the error I reported here

If an installation image with the graphical installer can be built with a more current kernel, I'm all for it
Only, please, tell me how