Re: best way to reach QEMU VM desktop on headless GuixSD server

From: Chris Marusich
Subject: Re: best way to reach QEMU VM desktop on headless GuixSD server
Date: Fri, 19 Jan 2018 02:17:25 -0800

George myglc2 Clemmer <address@hidden> writes:

> It appears that there are 3 ways to reach a QEMU VM desktop on headless
> GuixSD servers: X11, spice, and maybe VNC. Is that right?
>
> Can anyone comment on which has the best performance.
>
> My situation: MacOS <-- 1000BaseT --> GuixSD/servers
>
> TIA - George

I've tried X11 and VNC.  X11 is easier to use and maintain if you
already have SSH access, but I prefer VNC if it's available.

X11 over a remote (e.g., VPN over the Internet) connection is usually no
fun at all.  However, if you have a local 1G link to the servers, then
the X11 performance might be tolerable, in which case the simplicity of
X11 might beat VNC's performance.

FWIW, QEMU comes with a built-in VNC server feature, which makes it even
easier to use VNC in this use case.  See for example:

https://qemu.weilnetz.de/doc/qemu-doc.html#vnc_005fsecurity

For a VNC client, in Guix we have Vinagre, which works fine for me.

--
Chris