Re: path error

From: Björn Höfling
Subject: Re: path error
Date: Tue, 27 Feb 2018 00:05:03 +0100

Hi Quiliro,

On Mon, 26 Feb 2018 15:52:54 -0500
Quiliro Ordonez Baca <address@hidden> wrote:

> I have downloaded OpenKinect. (Disclosure: I have not checked wether
> it is has non-libre software yet.) I typed:

I haven't checked either. I just saw the keyword "firmwire", which
smells like binaries.

> git clone https://github.com/OpenKinect/libfreenect
> cd libfreenect
> mkdir build
> cd build
> cmake -L ..
>
> But I get an error on executing that command. Here is the output:
>
> address@hidden ~/libfreenect/build$ cmake -L ..

[...]

>   gcc: error trying to exec 'as': execvp: No existe el fichero o el
>   directorio

[...]

> Please suggest possible solution. Thank you very much. :-)

There are problems with dependencies. I also found out it is not easy to
directly set up the environment for gcc or even worse cmake.

I would suggest to directly start writing a package definition (weather
or not it is free), like described here:

https://www.gnu.org/software/guix/manual/guix.html#Building-from-Git

In your case you need the cmake-build-system. Look through the source
code und gnu/packages/*.scm for examples.

When you then execute

./pre-inst-env guix build libfreenect

Guix will correctly prepare the cmake-environment for you.
Probably it will hit errors because you missed arguments or
dependencies, but at least the basic dependencies will be available.

Furthermore, you can keep the build directory under failure ("-K"):

./pre-inst-env guix build -K libfreenect

Then you can examine the build directory under /tmp/guix-build-... for
cmake log/error files.

Hope this helps,

Björn