Re: guixbuild does not exist???

From: Marius Bakke
Subject: Re: guixbuild does not exist???
Date: Tue, 27 Feb 2018 17:26:16 +0100

Konrad Hinsen <address@hidden> writes:

> Hi Guixers,
>
> Today guix greeted me with a strange error message when I tried to
> install a package:
>
>    guix package: error: build failed: the group `guixbuild' specified in
> `build-users-group' does not exist
>
> I call this strange because
>   1) The group exists, as do the users guixbuilder01 to guixbuilder10.
>   2) Guix has been working for quite a while on this machine, and
> nothing spectacular happened since the last use.
>   3) I cannot find any trace of this error message in the Guix source code.
>   4) The guix daemon is running without any sign of trouble.
>
> Any idea of what could be going wrong here?

This has to do with the recent update to glibc 2.26.  It no longer
builds the "nss_compat" library, which causes problems on distributions
that only has 'compat' in /etc/nsswitch.conf.

There is some discussion about it here: <https://bugs.gnu.org/30298>.

The workaround is to either install 'nscd', or update nsswitch.conf to
include 'files' (or similar) as a fallback (for "group" in this case).