Re: Installation: Load non-free wifi firmware (iwlwifi)

From: Pierre Neidhardt
Subject: Re: Installation: Load non-free wifi firmware (iwlwifi)
Date: Fri, 02 Mar 2018 18:41:16 +0100

An idea crossed my mind: from a foreign distribution with Guix
installed, run

     guix system init /mnt/etc/config.scm /mnt

The documentation tells us that's not enough though:

> With the target partitions ready and the target root mounted on ‘/mnt’,
> we’re ready to go.  First, run:
>
>      herd start cow-store /mnt
>
>    This makes ‘/gnu/store’ copy-on-write, such that packages added to it
> during the installation phase are written to the target disk on ‘/mnt’
> rather than kept in memory.  This is necessary because the first phase
> of the ‘guix system init’ command (see below) entails downloads or
> builds to ‘/gnu/store’ which, initially, is an in-memory file system.

Is there a simple way to do this without `herd'?

--
Pierre Neidhardt

Do you think that illiterate people get the full effect of alphabet soup?