Custom kernel module woes

From: Thorsten Wilms
Subject: Custom kernel module woes
Date: Wed, 21 Mar 2018 11:48:42 +0100

Hi!

My mentionable reasons for a custom kernel are optimizations for audio work (CONFIG_HZ=1000 and "Preemptible Kernel (Low-Latency Desktop)"), the specific CPU and reducing time and energy costs of building by selecting only the necessary drivers.

I added the package definition to my system configuration to then have the kernel build and put into place via `guix system reconfigure /ect/config.scm`. This failed several times after building, when guix does what I understand to be an initramfs test run, where it tries to load a bunch of modules.

With the help of #guix, I found a list that appears in linux-modules-builder and init-builder: ("ahci" "usb-storage" "uas" "usbhid" "hid-generic" "hid-apple" "dm-crypt" "xts" "serpent_generic" "wp512" "nls_iso8859-1" "pata_acpi" "pata_atiixp" "isci" "virtio_pci" "virtio_balloon" "virtio_blk" "virtio_net" "virtio_console")

Aside of the issue of requiring hid-apple on a desktop PC, and lots of crypto where no encrypted partition is in sight, it would be nice if an error could be triggered before the entire kernel and drivers are build.

My notes from hunting down these configuration dependencies:
ahci
dm-crypt, depends on:
Multiple device driver support: Device mapper support: Crypt target support
  Cryptographic API: User-space interface for hash algorithms
User-space interface for symmetric key cipher algorithms
                     RIPEMD-160 digest algorithm
                     SHA384 and SHA512 digest algorithms
                     wp512 / Whirlpool digest algorithms
                     LRW support
                     serpent_generic / Serpent cipher algorithm
                     Twofish cipher algorithm
  Device Drivers: Block Devices: Loopback device support
  File systems: FUSE (Filesystem in Userspace) support
hid-generic
hid-apple
isci
nls_iso8859-1
pata_acpi
pata_atiixp
uas, CONFIG_USB_UAS in Device Drivers, USB, USB Attached SCSI.
usb-storage
usbhid
virtio_pci
virtio_balloon
virtio_blk
virtio_net
virtio_console
xts

Things were going well until I got to XTS support. With either my custom configuration, or a default one, XTS is stuck on -*-, i.e. mandatory built-in. The after-build phase will fail if there's no xts.ko module!

I tried to figure out the dependencies and failed. Finally, I took the guix kernel configuration, replaced the entire segment device-drivers up to file-systems with one from my custom version and did the few other changes. It works!

Now if anyone knows or can figure out how *exactly* to turn XTS's -*- into a {M}, that would still be good to know. A script that turns any kernel configuration into a guix-sd-safe one, or changes to make these gymnastics unnecessary would be great!

A drawback of a lean and specific kernel is of course that it won't work with drastically changed hardware. A situation once can suddenly be forced into on hardware failure.

Kernel variants are tied to system generations, right? What do I have to do if I want a choice between 2 kernels independent of generations?

--
Thorsten Wilms

thorwil's design for free software:
http://thorwil.wordpress.com/