Re: Trouble with adding a package

From: Ricardo Wurmus
Subject: Re: Trouble with adding a package
Date: Mon, 26 Mar 2018 23:11:58 +0200

Hi Nadya,

> I've got guix source code from repository, added my definition in
> "gnu/package" and run "guix environment guix", "./bootstrap", "./configure
> --localstatedir=/var" and "make" and then tried "./pre-inst-env guix build
> my-package". And it doesn't see my package.

Please add the package to an existing package module (one of the files
in “gnu/packages/”).  Modules usually hold more than a single package.

To make this work with your package definition you need to bind your
package expression to a public variable:

    (define-public tcalc
      (package
        (name "tcalc")
        …))

> Also i have this thing appear almost every time i use guix:
> guile: warning: failed to install locale
> warning: failed to install locale: Invalid argument
> Don't think that's relevant but it's a little bit annoying.

This is unrelated.  You should be able to remove these warnings by
installing the glibc-locales package and setting the GUIX_LOCPATH
environment variable to “$HOME/.guix-profile/lib/locale”.

--
Ricardo

GPG: BCA6 89B6 3655 3801 C3C6  2150 197A 5888 235F ACAC
https://elephly.net