Re: Fail to configure home-directory

From: Pierre Neidhardt
Subject: Re: Fail to configure home-directory
Date: Thu, 29 Mar 2018 00:29:55 +0530

> Oops, that’s a bug that should be fixed now:
>

> https://git.savannah.gnu.org/cgit/guix.git/commit/?id=82b71ac366ef154400653d264b46b7aa3520f393

It works, thanks!

>> Furthermore, I cannot mount a filesystem as /home:
>>
>> ```
>> (file-system
>>   (device "home")
>>   (title 'label)
>>   (mount-point "/home")
>>   (type "ext4"))
>> ```
>>
>> Running `guix system reconfigure' hangs after the `usermod...' changes.
>> Not sure about how to print more debug details.
>
> Does /var/log/messages or /var/log/shepherd.log have more info?

/var/log/shepherd.log does not log anything from the `guix system
reconfigure...`.

Reconfiguring with --verbosity=10 fails with the following:

    |   lock released on
`/gnu/store/qz82gly176p51n82j60rx9aadqxyrm0k-grub.cfg.lock'
    |   building of `/gnu/store/xhg2rknd3yvhhb5vsalwwz14kf6184v1-grub.cfg.drv':
goal destroyed
    guix system: error: build failed: |   |   |   bind mounting `/dev/full' to
`/gnu/store/xhg2rknd3yvhhb5vsalwwz14kf6184v1-grub.cfg.drv.chroot/dev/full'

I've managed to work around the issue:

- Moving the mount point of "LABEL=home" from /mnt to /foo did not work.

- After a failure, all subsequent `guix system reconfigure` fail, even
  the original, working configuration.

- After a fresh system boot, commenting out the filesystem configuration
  of LABEL=home works.  I rebooted after that.  From then, I re-added
  the entry for LABEL=home with the new mount point /home.  It worked
  after a reboot.

Something is fishiy...

--
Pierre Neidhardt