Re: Package requests: fortune, gifsicle, inxi, uncrustify, unrar, vsftp,

From: Pierre Neidhardt
Subject: Re: Package requests: fortune, gifsicle, inxi, uncrustify, unrar, vsftp, xss-lock
Date: Sun, 01 Apr 2018 17:45:05 +0530

Pierre Neidhardt <address@hidden> writes:

>> vsftp:       Very Secure FTP daemon
>> Upstream URL:        https://security.appspot.com/vsftpd.html
>> (It seems that there is not a single FTP server on Guix.  Strange... Can
>> anyone
>> recommend anything better than vsftp for file sharing?  Not necessarily
>> FTP.)
>
> Correction: There is an FTP server in the inetutils package.

And here is a system configuration to get an FTP server up and running
with inetutils:

(use-modules (GNU)
             ; ...
             (gnu services networking)
             (gnu packages admin))

(operating-system
 ; ...
 (users (cons* (user-account
                (name "ambrevar")
                (group "users")
                (supplementary-groups '("wheel" "netdev"
                                        "audio" "video"))
                (home-directory "/home/ambrevar"))
               (user-account
                (name "ftp")
                (group "nogroup")
                (home-directory "/home/ftp"))
               %base-user-accounts))

 (services (cons* (service
                   inetd-service-type
                   (inetd-configuration
                    (entries
                     (list
                      (inetd-entry
                       (node "127.0.0.1")
                       (name "ftp")
                       (socket-type 'stream)
                       (protocol "tcp")
                       (wait? #f)
                       (user "root")
                       (program (file-append inetutils "/libexec/ftpd"))
                       (arguments
                        '("ftpd" "--anonymous-only" "-l"))
                       )))))
                  %my-services)))

I'm now trying to figure out how to declare a service without starting
it when booting.  In the case of inetd, I want to start it manually:

  > sudo herd start inetd

Anyone?

--
Pierre Neidhardt