Multiple pulseaudio process after re-loging

From: Pierre Neidhardt
Subject: Multiple pulseaudio process after re-loging
Date: Mon, 23 Apr 2018 12:10:37 +0530

After a fresh boot, pulseaudio works just fine.  If I log out and log
back again, I systematically get the following odd behaviour:

- When no sound is playing, I hear crackles.
- Instead of one, two pulseaudio processes are running.
- `pavucontrol' fails to start, claiming it cannot connect to the server.
- Power consumption skyrockets.

If I kill all pulseaudio processes, it goes back to normal.  That is to
say, until I log out and in again.

Can anyone reproduce?

--
Pierre Neidhardt

Newton's Little-Known Seventh Law:
        A bird in the hand is safer than one overhead.