Re: Adding chainloader stanzas to Grub

From: Chris Marusich
Subject: Re: Adding chainloader stanzas to Grub
Date: Wed, 02 May 2018 23:40:55 -0700

白い熊@相撲道 <address@hidden> writes:

> Hello:
>
> Is there a way to add full chainloader stanzas to Grub via the sysconfig file
> through system reconfigure in GuixSD.
>
> I'd like to have for instance the following entry added:
>
> menuentry "PureOS on /dev/sda2" {
>    set root=(hd0,9)
>    chainloader +1
>    }
>
> Can I do this?

Currently, I don't think Guix supports a way to specify a chainloader
command in your GuixSD operating system declaration.  That may change in
the future, but today I think that's how it is.

This is because the <menu-entry> record type (see: (guix) Bootloader
Configuration) does not expose any fields for a chainloader command, nor
does it provide a way to supply an opaque configuration file.  I think
the motivation for apparent limitation is that <menu-entry> is intended
to represent an abstract menu entry, suitable for use by various
bootloaders, and (maybe?) not all bootloaders may support chainloading.
GuixSD supports GRUB and U-Boot.  Does U-Boot support chainloading, like
GRUB does?  I'm not sure.

--
Chris