Re: Librem (was: Installation: Load non-free wifi firmware (iwlwifi))

From: Christopher Lemmer Webber
Subject: Re: Librem (was: Installation: Load non-free wifi firmware (iwlwifi))
Date: Fri, 04 May 2018 10:15:56 -0500

Pierre Neidhardt writes:

> Chris Marusich <address@hidden> writes:
>
>> Another option is to find a system that respects your freedom and does
>> not require proprietary software to run.  I have a LibreBoot laptop I
>> purchased from MiniFree, and I love it!  I know that purchasing a
>> replacement computer that respects your freedom can seem like an
>> expensive option, but if you have the money, then it's an option:
>>
>> https://minifree.org/
>>
>> You may also be interested in looking at:
>>
>> https://www.fsf.org/resources/hw/endorsement/respects-your-freedom
>
> How does it compare to Purism?
>
>       https://puri.sm/products/
>
> Their Librem 13 looks very attractive indeed!  Compared to my Xiaomi Air
> 13", it's seems to be a bit better while also more expansive, but I
> suppose it's the price to pay for a good cause! :)
>
> Any Librem user out there?

I'm running a LibreM 13.  GuixSD worked perfectly out of the box.  It's
nice to run GNOME again (after not having working OpenGL for ages on my
x200).  The hardware kill switches for wifi / camera / microphone are
also nice.  It's only been a week, but my impression so far is: if you
can afford to fork over the cash for it, it's worth it.