Re: Librem

From: Chris Marusich
Subject: Re: Librem
Date: Tue, 08 May 2018 23:07:11 -0700

Pierre Neidhardt <address@hidden> writes:

>> https://www.raptorcs.com/TALOSII/
>
> Nice!  I was originally referring to laptops only, but since I was
> planning to look into desktops soon, so thanks for chiming in!
>
> It's waaaaaay too expensive for my needs though ;) Would you also happen
> to know of libre desktop hardware in the 500-1000€ price range?

It's true that the TALOSII costs more than your average consumer-grade
desktop.  However, I like the fact that they seem to put a strong focus
on empowering the desktop owner to control their own computing by
freeing as much software as possible.  For example, they use OpenBMC,
and a lot of the firmware used in the system is apparently available as
free software:

https://git.raptorcs.com/git/

But it is expensive.  :-) I haven't bought one yet, myself.  Depending
on your needs, I've heard you can put together a pretty good Libreboot
desktop system for between 500 and 1000 US dollars, if you order and
assemble the parts yourself.  For me, "pretty good" means about 16 GiB
of RAM, 8 CPU cores, and an SSD, since I'm mainly interested in generic
development work (need those cores to build stuff in parallel!).  But I
haven't tried assembling my own Libreboot desktop yet, either.  I would
love to hear more from people who have!

For a Libreboot-enabled system, you might also consider asking the
Libreboot IRC chat room for help (last I heard, their email list was not
working).  I'm sure they can make some good recommendations!

--
Chris