Some applications display strange menu bar contents on Mint themes.

From: muto.lachen
Subject: Some applications display strange menu bar contents on Mint themes.
Date: Sat, 12 May 2018 05:49:54 +0200 (CEST)

I'm using a brand new installation of Mint 18.3 Sylvia (Cinnamon), and I'm using Guix as my package manager as usual.

My problem occurs in Emacs, Audacity, and FileZilla. When I'm using the Mint-Y or X themes, the menu bar (where File, Edit, Options, and Help are) becomes extremely squished together, leaving no padding to either side of the text.
(see the screenshot at https://functional.cafe/@MutoShack/100012178677070459 )

This issue does not occur in GIMP, VLC, or LMMS.
The Adwaita theme works just fine, so I was wondering if there are any environment variables I need to set? Thank you in advance.

--
Kind regards -Muto
https://muto.ca