Re: Some applications display strange menu bar contents on Mint themes.

From: Chris Marusich
Subject: Re: Some applications display strange menu bar contents on Mint themes.
Date: Sat, 12 May 2018 18:27:21 -0700

<address@hidden> writes:

> I'm using a brand new installation of Mint 18.3 Sylvia (Cinnamon), and  I'm
> using Guix as my package manager as usual.
>
> My problem occurs in Emacs, Audacity, and FileZilla. When I'm using
> the Mint-Y or X themes, the menu bar (where File, Edit, Options, and
> Help are) becomes extremely squished together, leaving no padding to
> either side of the text.
> (see the screenshot at https://functional.cafe/@MutoShack/100012178677070459
> <https://functional.cafe/@MutoShack/100012178677070459> )
>
> This issue does not occur in GIMP, VLC, or LMMS.
> The Adwaita theme works just fine, so I was wondering if there are any
> environment variables I need to set? Thank you in advance.

This looks similar to the following issue:

"Incorrect Emacs UI on foreign distro (Ubuntu)"
https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/help-guix/2017-05/msg00069.html

What is the value of your XDG_DATA_DIRS?  Does Emacs load correctly if
you start it from GNOME Terminal with the following command?

  env -u XDG_DATA_DIRS emacs

--
Chris