Re: Upgrade errors, Re: Upgrade errors

From: Chris Marusich
Subject: Re: Upgrade errors, Re: Upgrade errors
Date: Sat, 12 May 2018 19:03:21 -0700

sidhu1f <address@hidden> writes:

>  ;; Assuming /dev/sdX is the target hard disk, and "my-root"
>  ;; is the label of the target root file system.
>  (bootloader (bootloader-configuration
>                (bootloader grub-bootloader)
>                (target "/dev/sda1")))
>
>  ;; Specify a mapped device for the encrypted root partition.
>  ;; The UUID is that returned by 'cryptsetup luksUUID'.
>  (mapped-devices
>   (list (mapped-device
>          (source (uuid "fe4039bc-d231-4943-9704-f8a1186e6d42"))
>          (target "fs-root")
>          (type luks-device-mapping))))
>
>  (file-systems (cons (file-system
>                        (device "fs-root")
>                        (title 'label)
>                        (mount-point "/")
>                        (type "ext4")
>                        (dependencies mapped-devices))
>                      %base-file-systems))

Can you also share the output of the following commands?

  sudo lsblk -p -o NAME,TYPE,FSTYPE,LABEL,UUID,MOUNTPOINT
  sudo parted -l

This will tell us how your disks, partitions, and LUKS volume are
configured.  Hopefully that will make it easier to see why your
configuration isn't working.  If you don't have those programs
available, you can install them with:

  guix package -i util-linux parted

sidhu1f <address@hidden> writes:

> Hi Rekado
>
> On Sat, May 12, 2018 at 1:23 PM, Ricardo Wurmus <address@hidden> wrote:
>
>> > I did discover something curious: my guix version seems unchanged
>> > even after multiple 'guix system reconfigure' invocations. I do
>> > believe I heeded the documentation to do a 'guix pull' before the
>> > first reconfigure. Still, invocations of 'guix',
>> > '/var/guix/profiles/system-1-link/profile/bin/guix --version' and
>> > '/var/guix/profiles/system-11-link/profile/bin/guix --version'
>> > all produce:
>> >
>> >   guix (GNU Guix) 12e352dbcfc07b870c812999ae81c16f0aa8dc2c
>> >   Copyright...
>
>> This is not as helpful as it may seem.  The “guix” executable first
>> checks if ~/.config/guix/latest exists.  If it does it will load modules
>> from there.  It seems that you’ve used different guix executables, but
>> they would all load the same modules from ~/.config/guix/latest.
>
> I understand and accept what you are saying but it is not clear what
> it means in the current context. Do you mean that the guix version of
> Guix SD v0.14.0 fresh install, and the guix version after recently
> (couple of days back) doing a 'guix pull' and 'guix system
> reconfigure' being the same is expected behavior? By "guix version"
> above I mean the output displayed by 'guix --version'.

The "guix" command is a thin wrapper that quickly delegates to whatever
you've installed in ~/.config/guix/latest.  This is by design; it is how
we currently make it possible for multiple users to maintain separate
installations of Guix simultaneously.  For a more detailed description
of how this works, you might find this email thread helpful:

https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/help-guix/2017-09/msg00092.html

--
Chris