Re: On network management and documenting nmcli

From: Chris Marusich
Subject: Re: On network management and documenting nmcli
Date: Sun, 13 May 2018 10:44:32 -0700

Pierre Neidhardt <address@hidden> writes:

> As far as I can remember, the documentation example did not work for me.
>
> I think it is because I had built a custom image on which nmcli was
> running because the network-manager service was automatically started,
> unbeknownst to me.
>
> Beyond the installation process, I think my example is also relevant for
> at least one of the official "lightweight-desktop.scm" configuration
> file for which the default way to connect is nmcli.

The example in the manual is intended for the situation in which someone
is installing GuixSD using the official installation image.  If you're
using a custom image, or if you're using an installed system built from
lightweight-desktop.scm or something else, then the instructions may not
apply.  I think that's appropriate.

Once a user installs whatever system they want to use, it's partially up
to them to understand how to use it.  For example, we don't fully
document all the features of GNOME just because we package it as a
desktop environment.  I think the same goes for tools like nmtui.  If a
user wants to use it, they will figure out how to use it.  The various
methods for network management are described in the manual (see: "(guix)
Networking Services").  I don't feel like there are any egregious
omissions related to networking or nmtui in particular.

If there is a common problem that people trip over during the official
installation process, then it might be a different story.  However, it
doesn't sound like that's the case.  Am I missing something?

--
Chris