Re: On network management and documenting nmcli

From: swedebugia
Subject: Re: On network management and documenting nmcli
Date: Tue, 22 May 2018 14:42:19 +0200

On 2018-05-13 21:21, Pierre Neidhardt wrote:
You are very true, and while the manual hints at
lightweight-desktop.scm, it does not go any further with respect to
giving an outlook of what to expect from it: which services, which
programs, etc.

With little Scheme code the experienced users can investigate that by
themselves, but it's not quite obvious for newcomers.

If not only for nmcli, I would suggest we document more those
pre-defined profiles for the sake of making GuixSD more approachable.
I agree.

Here we could choose between just listing them in the manual which increases the work on updating the manual when we change the default profiles or Giving the newcomers the means to see for themselves what programs/services they contain. This should be done in a way that explains more than the name of the service/package does.

Perhaps a new guix command is needed for this e.g.:

% guix show %default-services

getty              | A service that serves tty

cups               | Printing service that enables printing

For information about how to remove or add services see Services (info) in the
manual.

This command "guix show" could then be hinted at in the example configuration files.

---
Swedebugia