Re: On network management and documenting nmcli

From: swedebugia
Subject: Re: On network management and documenting nmcli
Date: Wed, 23 May 2018 20:18:47 +0200

On May 23, 2018 5:45:53 PM GMT+02:00, Pierre Neidhardt <address@hidden> wrote:

>Ludovic Courtès <address@hidden> writes:
>
>> If you’re using Emacs, the latest version of Emacs-Guix has this new
>> ‘guix-default-services’ command that does exactly what you’re
>> suggesting.
>
>It's great but it's not obvious enough for newcomers in my opinion.
>
>We need something in the manual that makes explicit which service is
>run, among which which network manager is currently running.
>
>Asking newcomers to install Emacs + Emacs-Guix is too much a stretch in
>my opinion (as much as I love it!).

Agreed.

Emacs-Guix is a frontend in my opinion.
We should make sure that everything it provides is possible on the command line as well.

I would like to try to prepare a patch but this might be a little too challenging for me atm. to implement. (without guidance).

Maybe a general command to query the current running system configuration is what we want and this listing of running services (and default services) is a subset of what it provides.
--
Cheers Swedebugia