Re: Recovering from broken Guix due to GC'd derivations

From: Ludovic Courtès
Subject: Re: Recovering from broken Guix due to GC'd derivations
Date: Sun, 10 Jun 2018 18:45:19 +0200

Hello Mike,

Mike Gerwitz <address@hidden> skribis:

> Any pull or package install operations that I attempt give me an error
> like this (the exact derivation varies between my user and root, but
> they're both Perl):
>
>   guix pull: error: open-file: No such file or directory:
>   "/gnu/store/fq9583a3w3is0r1yrjxg1znfz2qkvg78-perl-5.26.2.tar.xz.drv"

This cannot happen under normal circumstances, as we say.  Could it be
that you run a Guix configured with a different ‘localstatedir’ than the
original one that populated /gnu/store?

Remember that the store consists of two elements: /gnu/store, and
$localstatedir/guix/db/db.sqlite (usually /var/guix/db/db.sqlite).  If
you somehow end up using a different database, it may be incorrect
compared to what’s actually available in /gnu/store (info "(guix) The
Store").

For that reason, ‘configure’ tries hard to prevent you from configuring
Guix with a ‘localstatedir’ different from the one of the
already-installed Guix (see ‘GUIX_CHECK_LOCALSTATEDIR’ in m4/guix.m4.)

HTH,
Ludo’.