Re: How to "Use PROFILE instead of the user’s default profile."?

From: George Clemmer
Subject: Re: How to "Use PROFILE instead of the user’s default profile."?
Date: Thu, 21 Jun 2018 10:56:55 -0400

George Clemmer <address@hidden> writes:

> Ricardo Wurmus <address@hidden> writes:
>
>> Hi George,
>>
>> You understand correctly and this is how it is supposed to work.  The
>> “source” method always augments the environment variables.
>>
>>> If so, how do I "Use my znc PROFILE *instead* of my user’s default
>>> profile?"
>>
>> You can use “guix package --search-paths=KIND” to generate different
>> kinds of environment variable changes.   The manual says this:

>> ‘--search-paths[=KIND]’
>>      Report environment variable definitions, in Bash syntax, that may
>>      be needed in order to use the set of installed packages.  These
>>      environment variables are used to specify “search paths” for files
>>      used by some of the installed packages.
>>      This option can also be used to compute the _combined_ search paths
>>      of several profiles.  Consider this example:
>>
>> Note that using “exact” overrides variables, which means that you would
>> end up without things you might take for granted, such as “/bin” or
>> “/run/current-system/profile/bin”.
>>
>> The behaviour of sourcing a profile’s “etc/profile” file is equivalent
>> to using
>>
>>     eval `guix package --search-paths=prefix`
>>
>> We wanted to add a more convenient command to “enable” another profile,
>> but IIRC there was no consensus on what that would look like.
>
> Thanks Ricardo,
>
> So, I can use PROFILE instead of my user default profile with ....
>
> eval guix package -p /var/guix/profiles/system -p PROFILE
> --search-paths=exact

Oops, I left out the back quotes. I mean ...

eval `guix package -p /var/guix/profiles/system -p PROFILE
--search-paths=exact`

... because I understand the doc to say this will give the "_combined_
search paths" of the two profiles. But I am disappointed that ...

guix package -p znc -i znc
eval `guix package -p /var/guix/profiles/system -p znc --search-paths`

... provides znc but no system packages. What am I misunderstanding now?

TIA - George