Re: MTP & Guix

From: Maxim Cournoyer
Subject: Re: MTP & Guix
Date: Fri, 06 Jul 2018 23:57:44 -0400

Hello,

Pierre Neidhardt <address@hidden> writes:

> Hi there!
>
> Do you people have recommendations when it comes to MTP (file sharing
> with mobile devices) support on GuixSD?
>
> Ideally I'd like something as straightforward as an auto-mounted folder
> which I can browse with my favourite file browser.
>
> I see Guix offers a few options:
>
> - jmtpgs
> - gmtp
> - libmtp
>
> What's your setup, people?

This is one of the things you'd think "must be dead simple" and then
loose a couple evenings trying to make work... eh!

I think the best option might be to have a running OpenSSH server on
your phone and use Emacs (tramp) to browse the files there (C-x f
/ssh:address@hidden:), but this probably requires to have rooted your phone.

Recently after finding that the Emacs builtin FTP browsing support
didn't work well with libre FTP servers (available on F-Droid) for
Android [0], someone suggested I could use Emacs with ADB (there is ADB
support in Tramp).  I just tried it now; works as well as any Dired
buffer :). It's documented in the chapter 5.3 External methods of the
Tramp manual.

Basically, add this to your ~/.emacs if you want it to connect
automatically to your device:

(setq tramp-adb-connect-if-not-connected t)

And then fire it up using C-x C-f /adb::.

You need the cable for the initial adb connection, but after you
continue the connection over TCP/IP wirelessly, by doing [2]:

> adb shell ip -f inet addr show wlan0   # Find your phone's IP address
> adb tcpip 5555
> adb connect <your-device-ip>:5555

HTH :)

Maxim